Taking the eye exam should be your first priority as the tests rule out the possibility of any serious eye condition besides checking for prescription of sunglasses.
There are various tests available to check the various eye conditions. Each of these tests is not necessary for all. They will be recommended only if necessary.
When you take a routine eye exam near me, the following will be the most likely procedure:
- Your medical history will be taken along with all medicines that you are taking.
- Any vision problems that you are facing
- Check the vision acuity to see whether glasses would be appropriate for you or contact lenses would be better
- Numbing eye drops will be given after which the doctor will measure the pressure of the eyes.
- Several lights and machines will be used to check the eye from the inside. The doctor could dilate your eyes as well to examine the interior portion of your eyes.
- The doctor would then discuss what he or she found during your eye exam.
When you go for an eye exam near me, you might need any of the following tests:
Eye Muscle Test
With the help of this test, the eye doctor is able to evaluate the condition of the muscles that control the movement of the eyes. The movement of the eyes is watched over by the doctor through a machine. The test will be able to show whether you have weak eye muscles, poor coordination or poor control.
Vision Acuity Test
The clarity of your vision is evaluated through this test. You are asked to read out letters or alphabets from a chart that is positioned at a distance. As you move down the chart, the size of the letters keeps getting smaller. This test evaluates the far vision.
The near vision is tested by a card that has letters just like the distant chart. The card is positioned mostly at an arm’s length, the distance that is usually the reading distance.
When you have refractive error, you are unable to see clearly. Contacts, glasses or corrective surgery are the options to deal with refractive error.
Assessment of the refractive error will help you know the lens prescription that will enable you to see clearly and comfortably.
Besides these, your doctor may conduct the visual field test, color vision test, slit lamp examination and retinal examination to rule out any complications when you go for an eye exam near me.